Sunday, June 24, 2007

Stamping in reverse

Did you know that you can use your stamps - in reverse? I just got the new Stampin' Up set, Zoofari (available in July from your Stampin' Up demonstrator), and while I think they're so cute, I really wanted this zebra to be looking to the right. But the original stamp looks to the left.

I was able to use the reverse of the stamp, by inking up the zebra stamp and then stamping onto the flat piece of rubber from the center of the Monogram O stamp (also Stampin' Up). I then huffed on the O rubber and pressed it onto my cardstock, resulting in a right-facing zebra!


Because the O piece wasn't mounted on a block of wood (or anything else), I ended up with a slightly smudgy zebra, but this worked for me because I was going to make it into a pull toy and wanted it to look a little soft. I drew the platform for the zebra and cut the whole thing out, omitting the stamp's tail. I pulled apart a piece of black grosgrain and used it for the tail and mane. The wheels are punched out using the 1/2" and 1/4" circle punches with a More Mustard colored brad in the center. The string for the toy is silver cording with a knot at the end.

Here's the completed card. More pulled apart white grosgrain tied into the knot for softness.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is sooo cute - and clever! What a good idea.

Unknown said...

Love the little zebra, that card is too cute!

Dawn Easton said...

OMG! THANK YOU for that tip! I was wanting to have the two monkeys facing one another today and had I read this FIRST I could have done it...LOL
GREAT blog!

Maggie Lamarre said...

Wow I luv the tip, I hope you don't mind I share it with our readers at http://stamping.craftgossip.com.
Maggie