Saturday, October 10, 2009

I'll be back to stamping soon. Promise.

Last night I tried needlefelting! I bought a kit from Fancy Tiger last night on my way home from work, and after dinner, I whipped this little guy right up! The kit includes enough wool for two owls. The wings aren't even part of the original pattern, and I was able to fashion them pretty easily after making the rest of the bird. Not including the wings, he's about 1 3/4" across, with the wings, about 3".

Can't stop by the store? They have an etsy shop where you can buy kits like the one I used!
All you need is wool roving, a barbed needle and a foam block. Some repetitive stabbing/poking and it starts to "felt" the wool, making it essentially (I think) hold on to itself.
Seen below are some progressive photos of the process. Isn't he cute? I think I'll be making some more today. I'm going to stay inside since it's only 20 degrees so far and it's supposed to snow.

2 comments:

urban craft said...

Isn't needlefelting the best. It totally opens up a whole new technique for making things.
Love your owlie!

Anonymous said...

That is about the cutest thing I have ever seen! I might just have to stop by that shop and take up a new hobby!! I love it!!

Miss you and our stamping group! Super busy fall - maybe I can make the next stamping event you have.

Ingrid