Saturday, August 29, 2009

I'm proud of this one ... but it's not really stamping.

So this isn't stamping ... but it's made with all Stampin' Up supplies, except for the eye and scales. Does that count? The fish, a Rainbow Trout, was handpainted by me! I shocked myself by painting what I think is an accurate representation. I Googled "rainbow trout" and found a photo (here's my model). I sketched its shape in pencil onto Shimmery White cardstock, and then I started painting using an aqua painter and reinkers. I also colored with the markers on the fins and then "pulled" the color with the aqua painter. After painting, I glued the Shimmery White cardstock onto some thin chipboard to give it more stability. I then cut out the fish shape.

I wanted and needed a very fishy card for my husband's birthday (which is today) and we're going to the lake to camp and boat for the weekend which is where he'll get the gift from the extended family. We all chipped in, and he's getting a gift certificate for a guided day of fly fishing! I just know he's going to be so excited to go with an expert. He fishes already and has taken a class that expanded his skills, but I think it would be so awesome to be on-river with someone who can help you "in the moment" to get those techniques down.

After the fish was done and I had misted it with water and then spritzed it with the Chocolate Chip marker and Color Spritzer, I dabbed on some glue and then sprinkled the fish with some Martha Stewart "snow" flakes because in the right light, they're shiny like fish scales. I popped the fish up on dimensionals and mounted it to my card base.

Here is the finished card on top of the custom envelope I showed in an earlier post.

As a funny side note, you never know what in your arsenal can make for good craft. The eye is a large brad that I had in my stash, and when my white gel pen wouldn't stick to it, I used the white finger nail polish that I have for my french manicures - and it worked great! :)
Have a great weekend!

No comments: