Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Signs of Change

I am one to absolutely prowl the clearance racks/endcaps in stores, particularly craft stores. Often I don't even care what the actual item looks like, I care about the structure (and the reduced price!). This "relax" sign below is an example of this. Here in land-locked Colorado, there isn't a lot of beachiness happening, not a lot of nautical needs either. But, when I saw these signs posted for $1, I was compelled to buy a few ... ok, five.


I've only used one sign so far for a little Valentine sign. I covered it in kraft colored cardstock and then used some Bella Rose designer series Stampin' Up paper. The letters were punched out of light chipboard and DSP and I glued them together to give them just a little more bulk. The alphabet dies that I used are the Big Shot "Serif Essentials" sold through Stampin' Up. The stamps used are from the set "A Happy Heart" and the scallop punch is also a Stampin' Up goodie.

I am REALLY pleased with this cute little sign, especially for how quickly it came together! This is a project that could have lingered on with me just not finding the right combination of items. But not this time. I think I finished it in a short evening's span.

The ribbon is a combination of Stampin' Up and other scraps that I had handy. I punched through the metal sign to set a few corner eyelets making it look like the sign had been the way I had designed it for a long time.

Thanks for stopping by!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great job! I will keep an eye out for this kind of stuff on my thrifting excursions ...

Brandi said...

Melissa, I just happened to come across your blog and I had to tell you that the sign you made is absolutely adorable. I see signs like this at the craft store all the time that sell for 10-20 dollars. Yours is so much cuter. What a great idea! I have to do this myself! I love seeing the creative things people come up with!Thanks for sharing!
Brandi

Allison Rankin said...

These are super...love the idea! Great color mixes to boot!

katf said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
katf said...

I just found your blog for the first time. I love your V-day sign!

Kathy

Anonymous said...

I love buying stuff cheap at dollar stores or garage sales (car boot sales here in England) and "revamping" them! A lot of the time, when I give a gift, a friend of mine asks "What was this in it's previous life?" LOL! Because she knows me so well!lol