Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Gimme the details!

Goodness I'm posting a lot today!

This little card took an inordinately long time to make. I kept putting stuff on. Then I'd take it off. Then I'd put something different on. Eesh. And in the end, there's hardly anything on it.

Finally, this is where I ended up. I was very happy that the Sage Shadow matched some of the subtle greens in the Basic Grey Phoebe paper, so that was a good start, but I NEEDED something to mount the bird on. See that tiny little piece of sort-of burgundy in the lower right corner of the Phoebe paper? That's what I wanted to match. There aren't any SU colors that color, and that's the only solid paper that I'll buy. LUCKILY, with all the SU inks + SU solids, you can get darn close to just about any color. My scallop bird background is Real Rose paper sponged with Perfect Plum. It looks deliciously close to my goal.

I REALLY like what I did to make the slit punch/scalloped border. I felt quite clever. Let me know if this is something you'd like step-by-step photos of it to see how it's done. I haven't seen this done this way before, but with the multitude of savvy stampers out there, it may have been done before.

This card is going out as an RAK today, so I'll let it go. Thankfully (?) I've "matured" in my stamping life. When I first started stamping, I couldn't send anything out. Now, a lot of times, when I really like something, it goes to work with me and sits on the ledge of my desk so I (and my co-workers) can admire it, even though I'm not in the rubber room at home. It feels soothing somehow. Then, after some time passes, I'm able to let it go. Well, this time, the card was made last night and it's going out today. Fly away little bird-card!



Stamps: Rhonna Farrer - bird ($1.99 bins at Archivers)
Paper: Rose Red, Sage Shadow, Whisper White, brown Stazon (bird outline), Really Rust (watercolored w/ ink on feathers and beak)
Ink: Creamy Caramel (sponged on scalloped edge), Perfect Plum (sponged on scallped circle), white gel pen
Accessories: K&Company pearl brad, slit punch, 1/16" circle punch, dimensionals, aqua painter
Techniques: watercoloring, paper cutting, faux stitching

2 comments:

Jeanine Eckert said...

Wow- that bird goes so well with that paper! Good job matching the color by experimenting (you freak). :)

Allison Rankin said...

I love this card! And, I love that bird! Sigh, maybe one day he will fly to Canada to a store near me...ha!